From Marco Matarazzo <marco.matara...@hexkeep.com>
Subject keyspace no longer modifiable
Date Tue, 24 Jul 2012 10:02:43 GMT
Greetings.

We have a very strange problem: it seems that sometimes our keyspaces become immodifiable.

user@server:~$ cqlsh -3 -k goh_master cassandra1
Connected to GOH Cluster at cassandra1:9160.
[cqlsh 2.2.0 | Cassandra 1.1.2 | CQL spec 3.0.0 | Thrift protocol 19.32.0]
Use HELP for help.
cqlsh:goh_master> drop columnfamily agents_blueprints;
cqlsh:goh_master>

[Here i disconnected, just in case. It's exactly the same if I don't do this.]

user@server:~$ cqlsh -3 -k goh_master cassandra1
Connected to GOH Cluster at cassandra1:9160.
[cqlsh 2.2.0 | Cassandra 1.1.2 | CQL spec 3.0.0 | Thrift protocol 19.32.0]
Use HELP for help.
cqlsh:goh_master> DESCRIBE COLUMNFAMILY agents_blueprints

CREATE TABLE agents_blueprints (
  agent_id ascii,
  archetype ascii,
  proto_id ascii,
  PRIMARY KEY (agent_id, archetype)
) WITH COMPACT STORAGE AND
  comment='' AND
  caching='KEYS_ONLY' AND
  read_repair_chance=0.100000 AND
  gc_grace_seconds=864000 AND
  min_compaction_threshold=4 AND
  max_compaction_threshold=32 AND
  replicate_on_write='true' AND
  compaction_strategy_class='SizeTieredCompactionStrategy' AND
  compression_parameters:sstable_compression='SnappyCompressor';

cqlsh:goh_master>

Is it still possible to write and read data from the tables, they just can't be dropped, created
or altered.

With 1.1.1 we discovered that a rolling restart of the cluster used to fix the problem. This
is no longer happening with 1.1.2, and the only way we found to come out from this situation
is to bring down the cluster, delete everything in /var/lib/cassandra (everything inside commitlog,
data and saved_caches), start over with a clean cluster and dump again new data.

This happens to us very often, both on our 3 nodes cluster and on our test single-node cluster.
We use Ubuntu LTS 12.04, with Sun Oracle Java 6.

Is it something known ? This is a pretty ugly bug, to us.

--
Marco Matarazzo
== Hex Keep ==

"You can learn more about a man
  in one hour of play
  than in one year of conversation.” - Plato