From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Composite key in thrift java api
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2012 23:10:07 GMT
>  I would really prefer to do it in Cassandra itself,
See https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/trunk/src/java/org/apache/cassandra/db/marshal/CompositeType.java

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 6/07/2012, at 10:40 AM, Leonid Ilyevsky wrote:

> I need to create a ByteBuffer instance containing the proper composite key, based on
the values of the components of the key. I am going to use it for update operation.
> I tried to simply concatenate the buffers corresponding to the components, but I am not
sure this is correct, because I am getting exception that comes from the server :

> InvalidRequestException(why:Not enough bytes to read value of component 0)
>
> In the server log I see this:
>
> org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransportException: Cannot read. Remote side has closed.
Tried to read 4 bytes, but only got 0 bytes. (This is often indicative of an internal error
on the server side. Please check your server logs.)

> (I believe here when it says “server side” it actually means client, because it is
the server’s log).

> Seems like the buffer that my client sends is too short.  I suspect there is a way in
thrift to do it properly, but I don’t know how.
> Looks like Hector has a Composite class that maybe can help, but at this point I would
really prefer to do it in Cassandra itself, without Hector.

> Thanks!
>
> Leonid
>

> This email, along with any attachments, is confidential and may be legally privileged
or otherwise protected from disclosure. Any unauthorized dissemination, copying or use of
the contents of this email is strictly prohibited and may be in violation of law. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, forwarding or distribution of this email
is strictly prohibited and this email and any attachments should be deleted immediately. This
email and any attachments do not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer
to purchase any interest in any investment vehicle sponsored by Moon Capital Management LP
(“Moon Capital”). Moon Capital does not provide legal, accounting or tax advice. Any statement
regarding legal, accounting or tax matters was not intended or written to be relied upon by
any person as advice. Moon Capital does not waive confidentiality or privilege as a result
of this email.