From Pieter Callewaert <pieter.callewa...@be-mobile.be>
Subject RE: frequent node up/downs
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2012 15:13:03 GMT
Hi,

Had the same problem this morning, seems related to the leap second bug.
Rebooting the nodes fixed it for me, but there seems to be a fix also without rebooting the
server.

Kind regards,
Pieter

From: feedly team [mailto:feedlydev@gmail.com]
Sent: maandag 2 juli 2012 17:09
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: frequent node up/downs

Hello,
   I recently set up a 2 node cassandra cluster on dedicated hardware. In the logs there have
been a lot of "InetAddress xxx is now dead' or UP messages. Comparing the log messages between
the 2 nodes, they seem to coincide with extremely long ParNew collections. I have seem some
of up to 50 seconds. The installation is pretty vanilla, I didn't change any settings and
the machines don't seem particularly busy - cassandra is the only thing running on the machine
with an 8GB heap. The machine has 64GB of RAM and CPU/IO usage looks pretty light. I do see
a lot of 'Heap is xxx full. You may need to reduce memtable and/or cache sizes' messages.
Would this help with the long ParNew collections? That message seems to be triggered on a
full collection.