Is the node we are connecting to try to proxy requests ? Wouldn't our
configuration ensure all nodes have replicas ?
It can still time out even when reading locally. (The thread running the query is waiting on the read thread).

Look in the server side logs to see if there are any errors. If you are getting a timeout in this situation I would guess either the node is heavily overloaded or you are asking for a lot of data from a wide row.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton