In theory the the logging configurator is watching the file and check for changes every 10 seconds. I've nevery had much luck with it, but assumed it was me getting something wrong.

Or you can modify the values on the fly using the setLog4jLevel() on the StorageService MBean via JMX. It will log "set log level to" to say the value has changed.

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer

On 5/06/2012, at 9:58 AM, Bryce Godfrey wrote:

From: aaron morton []
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2012 11:15 AM
Subject: Re: 1.1 not removing commit log files?
Apply the local hint mutation follows the same code path and regular mutations.
When the commit log is being truncated you should see flush activity, logged from the ColumnFamilyStore with "Enqueuing flush of " messages.
If you set DEBUG logging for the  org.apache.cassandra.db.ColumnFamilyStore it will log if it things the CF is clean and no flush takes place.
If you set DEBUG logging on org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.CommitLog we will see if the commit log file could not be deleted because a dirty CF was not flushed.
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer