From Samuel CARRIERE <samuel.carri...@urssaf.fr>
Subject Re: Dead node still being pinged
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2012 18:02:47 GMT
I'm in the train but just a guess : maybe it's hinted handoff. A look in the logs of the new
nodes could confirm that : look for the IP of an old node and maybe you'll find hinted handoff

----- Message d'origine -----
De : Nicolas Lalevée [nicolas.lalevee@hibnet.org]
Envoyé : 08/06/2012 19:26 ZE2
À : user@cassandra.apache.org
Objet : Re: Dead node still being pinged

Le 8 juin 2012 à 15:17, Samuel CARRIERE a écrit :

> What does nodetool ring says ? (Ask every node)

currently, each of new node see only the tokens of the new nodes.

> Have you checked that the list of seeds in every yaml is correct ?

yes, it is correct, every of my new node point to the first of my new node

> What version of cassandra are you using ?

Sorry I should have wrote this in my first mail.
I use the 1.0.9

Nicolas

> Samuel
>

> Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lalevee@hibnet.org>
> 08/06/2012 14:10
> Veuillez répondre à
> user@cassandra.apache.org

> user@cassandra.apache.org
> cc
> Objet
> Dead node still being pinged
>

> I had a configuration where I had 4 nodes, data-1,4. We then bought 3 bigger machines,
data-5,7. And we moved all data from data-1,4 to data-5,7.
> To move all the data without interruption of service, I added one new node at a time.
And then I removed one by one the old machines via a "remove token".

> Everything was working fine. Until there was an expected load on our cluster, the machine
started to swap and become unresponsive. We fixed the unexpected load and the three new machines
were restarted. After that the new cassandra machines were stating that some old token were
not assigned, namely from data-2 and data-4. To fix this I issued again some "remove token"
commands.

> Everything seems to be back to normal, but on the network I still see some packet from
the new cluster to the old machines. On the port 7000.