From "Poziombka, Wade L" <wade.l.poziom...@intel.com>
Subject RE: memory issue on 1.1.0
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2012 17:38:36 GMT
Delivery pressures being what they are I have moved to 1.0.10.  And I was able to run for about
12 hours with no issues (although the performance seemed somewhat variable).

However, after all the work I issued a truncate on the old column family (the one replaced
by this process) and I get an out of memory condition then.

Is dropping the column family better here? (was doing truncate then drop).  If I just drop
does data go away?

As to your specific requests for information, I will try to get to this.  But the CPU is high
but not saturated.  It is a big box and there is still some CPU to spare.

Wade

From: aaron morton [mailto:aaron@thelastpickle.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 4:05 AM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: memory issue on 1.1.0

I looked through the log again. Still looks like it's overloaded and not handling the overload
very well.

It looks like a sustained write load of around 280K columns every 5 minutes for about 5 hours.
It may be that the CPU is the bottle neck when it comes to GC throughput. You are hitting
ParNew issues from the very start, and end up with 20 second CMS. Do you see high CPU load
?

Can you enable the GC logging options in cassandra-env.sh ?

Can you throttle back the test and to a level where the server does not fail ?

Alternatively can you dump the heap when it get's full and see what it taking up all the space
?

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer