From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: repair never finishing 1.0.7
Date Wed, 27 Jun 2012 09:29:35 GMT
> Setting up a Cassandra ring across NAT ( without a VPN ) is impossible in my experience.

The broadcast_address allows a node to broadcast an address that is different to the ones
it's bound to on the local interfaces https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/trunk/conf/cassandra.yaml#L270

 1) How can I make sure that the JIRA issue above is my real problem? (I see no errors or
warns in the logs; no other activity)

If the errors are not there it is not your problem.

>> - a full cluster restart allows the first attempted repair to complete (haven't tested
yet; this is not practical even if it works)
Rolling restart of the nodes involved in the repair is sufficient.

Double checking the networking and check the logs on both sides of the transfer for errors
or warnings. The code around streaming is better at failing loudly now days.

If you dont see anything set DEBUG logging on org.apache.cassandra.streaming.FileStreamTask.
That will let you know if things start and progress.

Hope that helps.

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 26/06/2012, at 6:16 PM, Alexandru Sicoe wrote:

> Hi Andras,
>
> I am not using a VPN. The system has been running successfully in this configuration
for a couple of weeks until I noticed the repair is not working.

> What happens is that I configure the IP Tables of the machine on each Cassandra node
to forward packets that are sent to any of the IPs in the other DC (on ports 7000, 9160 and
7199)  to be sent to the gateway IP. The gateway does the NAT sending the packets on the other
side to the real destination IP, having replaced the source IP with the initial sender's IP
(at least in my understanding of it).

> What might be the problem given the configuration? How to fix this?
>
> Cheers,
> Alex
>
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Andras Szerdahelyi <andras.szerdahelyi@ignitionone.com>
wrote:

>>  The DCs are communicating over a gateway where I do NAT for ports 7000, 9160 and
7199.

> Ah, that sounds familiar. You don't mention if you are VPN'd or not. I'll assume you
are not.

> So, your nodes are behind network address translation - is that to say they advertise
( broadcast ) their internal or translated/forwarded IP to each other? Setting up a Cassandra
ring across NAT ( without a VPN ) is impossible in my experience. Either the nodes on your
local network won't be able to communicate with each other, because they broadcast their translated
( public ) address which is normally ( router configuration ) not routable from within the
local network, or the nodes broadcast their internal IP, in which case the "outside" nodes
are helpless in trying to connect to a local net. On DC2 nodes/the node you issue the repair
on, check for any sockets being opened to the internal addresses of the nodes in DC1.

> regards,
> Andras
>

> On 25 Jun 2012, at 11:57, Alexandru Sicoe wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>>  I have a 2 DC (DC1:3 and DC2:6) Cassandra1.0.7 setup. I have about 300GB/node in
the DC2.

>>  The DCs are communicating over a gateway where I do NAT for ports 7000, 9160 and
7199.

>>  I did a "nodetool repair" on a node in DC2 without any external load on the system.

>>  It took 5 hrs to finish the Merkle tree calculations (which is fine for me) but
then in the streaming phase nothing happens (0% seen in "nodetool netstats") and stays like
that forever. Note: it has to stream to/from nodes in DC1!

>>  I tried another time and still the same.
>>
>>  Looking around I found this thread
>>              http://www.mail-archive.com/user@cassandra.apache.org/msg22167.html
>>  which seems to describe the same problem.
>>
>> The thread gives 2 suggestions:
>> - a full cluster restart allows the first attempted repair to complete (haven't tested
yet; this is not practical even if it works)
>> - issue https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-4223 can be the problem
>>
>> Questions:
>> 1) How can I make sure that the JIRA issue above is my real problem? (I see no errors
or warns in the logs; no other activity)
>> 2) What should I do to make the repairs work? (If the JIRA issue is the problem,
then I see there is a fix for it in Version 1.0.11 which is not released yet)