From Viktor Jevdokimov <Viktor.Jevdoki...@adform.com>
Subject RE: repair
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2012 14:02:51 GMT
Why without -PR when recovering from crash?

Repair without -PR runs full repair of the cluster, the node which receives a command is a
repair controller, ALL nodes synchronizes replicas at the same time, streaming data between
each other.
The problems may arise:

·         When streaming hangs (it tends to hang even on a stable network), repair session
hangs (any version does re-stream?)

·         Network will be highly saturated

·         In case of high inconsistency some nodes may receive a lot of data, disk usage
much more than 2x (depends on RF)

·         A lot of compactions will be pending

IMO, best way to run repair is from script with -PR for single CF from single node at a time
and monitoring progress, like:
repair -pr node1 ks1 cf1
repair -pr node2 ks1 cf1
repair -pr node3 ks1 cf1
repair -pr node1 ks1 cf2
repair -pr node2 ks1 cf2
repair -pr node3 ks1 cf2
With some progress or other control in between, your choice.

Use repair with care, do not let your cluster go down.

Best regards / Pagarbiai
Viktor Jevdokimov
Senior Developer

Email: Viktor.Jevdokimov@adform.com<mailto:Viktor.Jevdokimov@adform.com>
Phone: +370 5 212 3063, Fax +370 5 261 0453
J. Jasinskio 16C, LT-01112 Vilnius, Lithuania
Follow us on Twitter: @adforminsider<http://twitter.com/#!/adforminsider>
What is Adform: watch this short video<http://vimeo.com/adform/display>

[Adform News] <http://www.adform.com>

Disclaimer: The information contained in this message and attachments is intended solely for
the attention and use of the named addressee and may be confidential. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are reminded that the information remains the property of the sender. You must
not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this e-mail. If you have received this
message in error, please contact the sender immediately and irrevocably delete this message
and any copies.