From Oli Schacher <>
Subject java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2012 12:48:23 GMT
Hi list

I have a small cassandra cluster consisting of three nodes. Every few
weeks the whole cluster goes down at the same time. All nodes show:

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread
        at java.lang.Thread.start0(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Thread.start(
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.addWorker(
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.execute(
        at org.apache.cassandra.thrift.CustomTThreadPoolServer.serve(
        at org.apache.cassandra.thrift.CassandraDaemon$

There are no other log messages shortly before the crash.

I don't have much experience with cassandra, so I probably forgot to
configure an important memory parameter. But before I screw things up
even more, I hope someone on the list can point me in the right

Each Node runs on two Intel Xeon CPU E5645  @ 2.40GHz (6 physical cores
per CPU, 12 total), 12 Gig memory

Datastax Cassandra 1.1 , on Centos 6

10 linux servers, all of them connecting using pycassa. total of 10-30
writes / sec

I haven't changed any memory settings from the default, except
in, this hasn't made a difference though.

Any hints would be appreciated.

View raw message