But what's the difference between doing an extra read from that One Big File, than doing an extra read from whatever SSTable happen to be largest in the course of automatic minor compaction?

We have a pretty update-heavy application, and doing a major compaction can remove up to 30% of the used diskspace. That directly translates into less reads and less SSTables that rows appear in. Everything that's unchanged since the last major compaction is obviously faster to access, and everything that's changed since the last major compaction is about the same as if we hadn't done it?

So I'm still confused. I don't see a significant difference between doing the occasional major compaction or leaving it to do automatic minor compactions. What am I missing? Reads will "continually degrade" with automatic minor compactions as well, won't they?

I can sort of see that if you have a moving active data set, then that will most probably only exist in the smallest SSTables and frequently be the object of minor compactions, and doing a major compaction will move all of it into the biggest SSTables?

/Henrik