From Nury Redjepow <nreje...@mail.ru>
Subject How can we use composite indexes and secondary indexes together
Date Thu, 31 May 2012 11:07:53 GMT
We want to use cassandra to store complex data. But we can't figure out, how to organize indexes.
Our table (column family) looks like this:
Users = { RandomId int, Firstname varchar, Lastname varchar, Age int, Country int, ChildCount
int }
In our queries we have mandatory fields (Firstname,Lastname,Age) and extra search options
(Country,ChildCount). How do we organize index to make this kind of queries fast?
First I thought, it would be natural to make composite index on (Firstname,Lastname,Age) and
add separate secondary index on remaining fields (Country and ChildCount). But I can't insert
rows into table after creating secondary indexes. And also, I can't query the table.
I'm using cassandra 1.1.0, and cqlsh with --cql3 option.
Any other suggestions to solve our problem (complex queries with mandatory and additional
options) are welcome.The main point is, how can we join data in cassandra. If I make few index
column families, I need to intersect the values, to get rows that pass all search criteria???
Or should I use something based on Hadoop (Pig,Hive) to make such queries?

Respectfully, Nury