From Ben Coverston <ben.covers...@datastax.com>
Subject Re: incremental_backups
Date Tue, 01 May 2012 01:51:43 GMT
The documentation in the cassandra.yaml file covers this pretty well.

In summary, a snapshot will create a hard link for each file in the data
directory (if JNA is installed and on the classpath).

Turning on incremental backup will create a hard link to every new SSTable
that is flushed out to disk. Together a snapshot and a set
of incrementals can allow you to recover to a specific point in time.

--
Ben Coverston
DataStax -- The Apache Cassandra Company