From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JNA + Cassandra security
Date Tue, 01 May 2012 01:48:32 GMT
On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 7:49 PM, Cord MacLeod <cordmacleod@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello group,
>
> I'm a new Cassandra and Java user so I'm still trying to get my head around a few things.
 If you've disabled swap on a machine what is the reason to use JNA?

Faster snapshots, giving hints to the page cache with fadvise.

>  A second question is doesn't JNA break the Java inherent security mechanisms by allowing
access to direct system calls outside of the JVM?  Are there any concerns around this?

We're not trying to sandbox anything here; there's lots of places
where we explicitly allow arbitrary Java code to be injected into
Cassandra.  You don't need native code to do dangerous things with
that!

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra