From Sylvain Lebresne <sylv...@datastax.com>
Subject Re: Memtable.flushAndSignal "hangs" ColumnFamilyStore.maybeSwitchMemtable on IOException
Date Wed, 02 May 2012 13:03:30 GMT
On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 2:42 PM, Mikael Wikblom
<mikael.wikblom@sitevision.se> wrote:
> Given an IOException in writeSortedContents the latch.countDown() will not
> be called. Wouldn't it be better to place the latch.countDown() in the
> finally statement?

No because having the latch being countDown means 'the sstable has
been flushed successfully and the data can be safely deleted in the
commit log', which is not the case if you get an IOException.

> We've had issues with IOExceptions in writeSortedContents when doing a snapshot which
hung a thread (and still hangs) for 4 days.

It would be interesting to know what triggered the IOException. If
that's due to a bug, then that's the one we should fix in priority. If
that's you running out of disk-space or something like that, you
should probably fix that and restart C*.

--
Sylvain