From Jeff Williams <je...@wherethebitsroam.com>
Subject Re: Keyspace lost after restart
Date Fri, 11 May 2012 09:18:46 GMT
Conan,

Good to see I'm not alone in this! I just set up a fresh test cluster. I first did a fresh
install of 1.1.0 and was able to replicate the issue. I then did a fresh install using 1.0.10
and didn't see the issue. So it looks like rolling back to 1.0.10 could be the answer for
now.

Jeff

On May 11, 2012, at 10:40 AM, Conan Cook wrote:

> Hi,
>
> OK we're pretty sure we dropped and re-created the keyspace before restarting the Cassandra
nodes during some testing (we've been migrating to a new cluster).  The keyspace was created
via the cli:

> create keyspace m7
>
>   with placement_strategy = 'NetworkTopologyStrategy'
>
>   and strategy_options = {us-east: 3}
>
>   and durable_writes = true;
>
> I'm pretty confident that it's a result of the issue I spotted before:

> Does anyone know whether this also affected versions before 1.1.0?  If not then we can
just roll back until there's a fix; we're not using our cluster in production so we can afford
to just bin it all and load it again.  +1 for this being a major issue though, the fact that
you can't see it until you restart a node makes it quite dangerous, and that node is lost
when it occurs (I also haven't been able to restore the schema in any way).

> Thanks very much,
>

> Conan
>

> On 10 May 2012 17:15, Conan Cook <conan.cook@amee.com> wrote:
> Hi Aaron,
>
> Thanks for getting back to me!  Yes, I believe our keyspace was created prior to 1.1,
and I think I also understand why you're asking that, having found this:

> Here's our startup log:
>
> https://gist.github.com/2654155
>
> There isn't much in there of interest however.  It may well be the case that we created
our keyspace, dropped it, then created it again.  The dev responsible for setting it up is
ill today, but I'll get back to you tomorrow with exact details of how it was originally created
and whether we did definitely drop and re-create it.

> Ta,
>
> Conan
>

> On 10 May 2012 11:43, aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
> Was this a schema that was created prior to 1.1 ?
>
> What process are you using to create the schema ?
>
> Can you share the logs from system startup ? Up until it logs "Listening for thrift clients".
(if they are long please link to them)

> Cheers
>
> -----------------
> Aaron Morton
> Freelance Developer
> @aaronmorton
> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>
> On 10/05/2012, at 1:04 AM, Conan Cook wrote:
>
>> Sorry, forgot to mention we're running Cassandra 1.1.
>>
>> Conan
>>
>> On 8 May 2012 17:51, Conan Cook <conan.cook@amee.com> wrote:
>> Hi Cassandra Folk,
>>
>> We've experienced a problem a couple of times where Cassandra nodes lose a keyspace
after a restart.  We've restarted 2 out of 3 nodes, and they have both experienced this problem;
clearly we're doing something wrong, but don't know what.  The data files are all still there,
as before, but the node can't see the keyspace (we only have one).  Tthe nodetool still says
that each one is responsible for 33% of the keys, but the disk usage has dropped to a tiny
amount on the nodes that we've restarted.  I saw this:

>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cassandra-user/201202.mbox/%3C4F3582E7.20907@conga.com%3E
>>
>> Seems to be exactly our problem, but we have not modified the cassandra.yaml - we
have overwritten it through an automated process, and that happened just before restarting,
but the contents did not change.

>> Any ideas as to what might cause this, or how the keyspace can be restored (like
I say, the data is all still in the data directory).