From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Using EC2 ephemeral 4disk raid0 cause high iowait trouble
Date Sun, 20 May 2012 23:50:52 GMT
Are you using the Ubuntu operating system ?

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 18/05/2012, at 1:59 PM, koji Lin wrote:

> Hi
>
> We use amazon ami 3.2.12-3.2.4.amzn1.x86_64
>
> and some of our data file are more than 10G
>
> thanks
>
> koji
>
> 2012-5-16 下午6:00 於 "aaron morton" <aaron@thelastpickle.com> 寫道:
> On Ubuntu ? Sounds like http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/FAQ#ubuntu_hangs
>
> Cheers
>

> -----------------
> Aaron Morton
> Freelance Developer
> @aaronmorton
> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>
> On 16/05/2012, at 2:13 PM, koji Lin wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Our service already run cassandra 1.0 on 1x ec2 instances(with ebs), and we saw lots
of discussion talk about using  ephemeral raid for better performance and consistent performance.

>> So we want to create new instance using 4 ephemeral raid0, and copy the data from
ebs to finally replace the old instance and reduce some .

>> we create the xlarge instance with -b '/dev/sdb=ephemeral0' -b '/dev/sdc=ephemeral1'
-b '/dev/sdd=ephemeral2' -b '/dev/sde=ephemeral3',

>> and use mdadm command like this  mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=0 -c256 --raid-devices=4
/dev/sdb /dev/sdc /dev/sdd /dev/sde

>> after copying file and start the cassandra(same token as old instance it replaced).
>>
>> we saw the read is really fast always keep 2xxm/sec, but system load exceed 40, with
high iowait, and lots of client get timeout result. We guess maybe it's the problem of ec2
instance, so we create another one with same setting to replace other machine ,but the result
is same . Then we rollback to ebs with single disk ,read speed keeps at 1xmb/sec but system
becomes well .(using ebs with 2 disks raid0 will keep at 2xmb/sec and higher iowait then single
disk ,but still works)