From Filippo Diotalevi <fili...@ntoklo.com>
Subject Ordering counters in Cassandra
Date Mon, 21 May 2012 14:59:43 GMT
Hi,
I'm trying to understand what's the best design for a simple "ranking" use cases.
I have, in a row, a good number (10k - a few 100K) of counters; each one is counting the occurrence
of an event. At the end of day, I want to create a ranking of the most occurred event.

What's the best approach to perform this task?
The brute force approach of retrieving the row and ordering it doesn't work well (the call
usually goes timeout, especially is Cassandra is also under load); I also don't know in advance
the full set of event names (column names), so it's difficult to slice the get call.

Is there any trick to solve this problem? Maybe a way to retrieve the row ordering for counter
values?

Thanks,
--
Filippo Diotalevi