From Mikael Wikblom <mikael.wikb...@sitevision.se>
Subject Re: Memtable.flushAndSignal "hangs" ColumnFamilyStore.maybeSwitchMemtable on IOException
Date Wed, 02 May 2012 14:10:26 GMT
ok, just find it a bit hard to be forced to shutdown the node in case of
an IOException, but I understand why. The exception occurred because of
a missing native snappy library on the server, but the error only occur
because we initialized a column family incorrectly (we are using
cassandra embedded and are working directly against the internal APIs).

Regards
Mikael Wikblom

On 05/02/2012 03:03 PM, Sylvain Lebresne wrote:
> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 2:42 PM, Mikael Wikblom
> <mikael.wikblom@sitevision.se>  wrote:
>> Given an IOException in writeSortedContents the latch.countDown() will not
>> be called. Wouldn't it be better to place the latch.countDown() in the
>> finally statement?
> No because having the latch being countDown means 'the sstable has
> been flushed successfully and the data can be safely deleted in the
> commit log', which is not the case if you get an IOException.
>
>> We've had issues with IOExceptions in writeSortedContents when doing a snapshot which
hung a thread (and still hangs) for 4 days.

--
Mikael Wikblom
Software Architect