Hi Tyler and Aaron,

Thanks for your replies.

Tyler,
fetching scs using your pycassa script on our server takes ~7 s - consistent with the times we've been seeing. Now, we aren't really experts in Cassandra, but it seems that JNA is enabled by default for Cassandra > 1.0 according to Jeremy (http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.db.cassandra.user/21441). But in case it isn't, how do you turn it on in 1.0.8?

I'm also setting MAX_HEAP_SIZE="2G" in cassandra-env.sh. I'm hoping that's how you increase java heap size. I've tried "3G" as well, without any increase in performance. It did however allow for taking larger slices.

Aaron,
we are not doing multi-threaded requests for now, but we'll give it a shot in the next day or two and I'll let you know if there is any improvement

Thanks for your help!
Dan F.