From Drew Kutcharian <d...@venarc.com>
Subject Re: Highest and lowest valid values for UUIDs/TimeUUIDs
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2012 17:08:06 GMT
Thanks Tyler. So have you actually tried this with Cassandra?

help to explain things: http://www.mail-archive.com/client-dev@cassandra.apache.org/msg00125.html

> Looking at the linked pycassa code might be the most useful thing.
>
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 1:46 AM, Drew Kutcharian <drew@venarc.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Considering that UUIDs are compared as numbers in Java [1], what are the lowest and highest
possible values a valid UUID can have? How about TimeUUIDs?

> The reason I ask is that I would like to pick a "default" UUID value in a composite column
definition like Composite(UUID1, UUID2) where UUID1 can be set to the default value if not
supplied. In addition, it'd be nice if the "default" columns are always sorted before the
rest of the columns.

> I was thinking of just doing "new UUID(Long.MAX_VALUE, Long.MAX_VALUE)" or "new UUID(Long.MIN_VALUE,
Long.MIN_VALUE)" but not sure if that's going to cause other issues that I'm not aware of.