1. Can this schema version issue happen in newer versions of Cassandra (>1.0) ?
AFAIK yes. Schema changes are assumed to happen infrequently, and to only be started if the cluster is in schema agreement. Clients (include the CLI and CQL) take care of this.

2. When the node is UP and we do this, even though logs errors, still would everything come back to normal just like we shut down and delete and restart?
You need to shut it down to delete the files, then start. Assuming RF >=3 and QUOURM CL, if the restarting node fails to read or write data requests will still succeed.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton