I think the confusion here is that cassandra-cli and cqlsh have different syntaxes.

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 4:37 PM, aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
Background: http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.0/references/cql/CREATE_COLUMNFAMILY

What error are you getting ? This works for me.

cqlsh> use dev;
cqlsh:dev> create COLUMNFAMILY users
       ... (KEY uuid  PRIMARY KEY,
       ... firstname text,
       ... lastname text,
       ... email text,
       ... address text,
       ... zip int,
       ... state text);
cqlsh:dev> describe columnfamilies;

users  student

cqlsh:dev> describe columnfamily users;

CREATE COLUMNFAMILY users (
  KEY uuid PRIMARY KEY,
  address text,
  lastname text,
  email text,
  firstname text,
  state text,
  zip int
) WITH
  comment='' AND
  comparator=text AND
  row_cache_provider='ConcurrentLinkedHashCacheProvider' AND
  key_cache_size=200000.000000 AND
  row_cache_size=0.000000 AND
  read_repair_chance=0.100000 AND
  gc_grace_seconds=864000 AND
  default_validation=text AND
  min_compaction_threshold=4 AND
  max_compaction_threshold=32 AND
  row_cache_save_period_in_seconds=0 AND
  key_cache_save_period_in_seconds=14400 AND
  replicate_on_write=True;

cqlsh:dev>

Cheers

Aaron Morton