Hmm. I thought that Cassandra would encode the composite column without the colon and that it was only there for illustration purposes, so the suggestion to use ~ is confusing.  Are there some docs you can point me to?  Also, after some reading, it seems to me that it is not even possible to have a composite column together with a regular column in a column family in this manner.