After running Cassandra for 2 years in production on Windows servers, starting from 0.7 beta2 up to 1.0.7 we have moved to Linux and forgot all the hell we had on Windows. Having JNA, off-heap row cache and normally working MMAP on Linux you're getting a lot better performance and stability comparing to Windows, and less maintenance.