From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Schema change causes exception when adding data
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2012 09:41:27 GMT
I don't have a lot of Hector experience but it sounds like the way to go.

The CLI and cqlsh will take care of this.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 2/03/2012, at 10:12 AM, Tharindu Mathew wrote:

> There are 2. I'd like to wait till there are one, when I insert the value.
>
> Going through the code, calling client.describe_schema_versions() seems to give a good
answer to this. And I discovered that if I wait till there is only 1 version, I will not get
this error.

> Is this the best practice if I want to check this programatically?
>
> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 11:15 PM, aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
> use describe cluster in the CLI to see how many schema versions there are.
>
> Cheers
>
> -----------------
> Aaron Morton
> Freelance Developer
> @aaronmorton
> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>
> On 2/03/2012, at 12:25 AM, Tharindu Mathew wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Tharindu Mathew <mccloud35@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Jeremiah,
>>
>> Thanks for the reply.
>>
>> This is what we have been doing, but it's not reliable as we don't know a definite
time that the schema would get replicated. Is there any way I can know for sure that changes
have propagated?
>> [Edit: corrected to a question]
>>
>> Then I can block the insertion of data until then.
>>

>> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 4:33 AM, Jeremiah Jordan <JEREMIAH.JORDAN@morningstar.com>
wrote:
>> The error is that the specified colum family doesn’t exist.  If you connect with
the CLI and describe the keyspace does it show up?  Also, after adding a new column family
programmatically you can’t use it immediately, you have to wait for it to propagate.  You
can use calls to describe schema to do so, keep calling it until every node is on the same
schema.

>> -Jeremiah

family. Then, when I try to write records to it I get the following exception shown at [1].

>> How do I avoid this. I'm using Hector and the default consistency level of QUORUM
is used. Cassandra version 0.7.8. Replication Factor is 1.