From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: smart client proxy for cassandra
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2012 17:29:20 GMT
I've heard of people using HA Proxy  http://haproxy.1wt.eu/ with php as a connection pool.

Note that detecting failure in Cassandra can only be done as part of a request. So HA Proxy
cannot understand if a node is actually functional, only that it allows a socket to be opened.

There is some work being done on creating a proxy server with Hector https://github.com/rantav/hector/tree/lcp-first-cut
Not sure on it's progress.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 25/03/2012, at 10:46 PM, Piavlo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any smart client proxy implementation for cassandra?
> I'd like to proxy short lived phpcassa connections through a smart proxy that will manage
a pool of connections and be aware of current cluster state, bad/slow nodes etc...
> The java php libraries https://github.com/s7/scale7-pelops and https://github.com/Netflix/astyanax
looks like good choices.
> But since I'm not a java programmer I'd first check if someone already have done this
or if someone could give guidelines on how to extend one of the above java clients to also
proxy thrift connections.