From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Adding a new node to already existing single-node-cluster cassandra
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 22:05:08 GMT
Sounds similar to
http://www.mail-archive.com/user@cassandra.apache.org/msg20926.html

Are you able to try adding the node  again with logging set to DEBUG (in /etc/cassandra/log4j-server.properties)
. (Please make sure the system directory is empty (/var/lib/cassandra/data/system) *NOTE*
do not clear this dir if the node has already joined)

It looks like the node has not detected the cluster yet for some reason. You can try passing
the JVM option cassandra.ring_delay_ms  (in cassandra-env.sh) to override the period it waits,
the default is 30000 (30 secs).

Could you add a ticket here https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA as well.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 14/03/2012, at 1:36 AM, Rishabh Agrawal wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been trying to add a node to single node cluster of Cassandra (1.0.8) but I always
get following error:

> INFO 17:50:35,555 JOINING: schema complete, ready to bootstrap
> INFO 17:50:35,556 JOINING: getting bootstrap token
> ERROR 17:50:35,557 Exception encountered during startup
> java.lang.RuntimeException: No other nodes seen!  Unable to bootstrap.If you intended
to start a single-node cluster, you should make sure your broadcast_address (or listen_address)
is listed as a seed.  Otherwise, you need to determine why the seed being contacted has no
knowledge of the rest of the cluster.  Usually, this can be solved by giving all nodes the
same seed list.
>         at org.apache.cassandra.dht.BootStrapper.getBootstrapSource(BootStrapper.java:168)
>         at org.apache.cassandra.dht.BootStrapper.getBalancedToken(BootStrapper.java:150)
>         at org.apache.cassandra.dht.BootStrapper.getBootstrapToken(BootStrapper.java:145)
>         at org.apache.cassandra.service.StorageService.joinTokenRing(StorageService.java:565)
>         at org.apache.cassandra.service.StorageService.initServer(StorageService.java:484)
>         at org.apache.cassandra.service.StorageService.initServer(StorageService.java:395)
>         at org.apache.cassandra.service.AbstractCassandraDaemon.setup(AbstractCassandraDaemon.java:234)
>         at org.apache.cassandra.service.AbstractCassandraDaemon.activate(AbstractCassandraDaemon.java:356)
>         at org.apache.cassandra.thrift.CassandraDaemon.main(CassandraDaemon.java:107)
> java.lang.RuntimeException: No other nodes seen!  Unable to bootstrap.If you intended
to start a single-node cluster, you should make sure your broadcast_address (or listen_address)
is listed as a seed.  Otherwise, you need to determine why the seed being contacted has no
knowledge of the rest of the cluster.  Usually, this can be solved by giving all nodes the
same seed list.
>         at org.apache.cassandra.dht.BootStrapper.getBootstrapSource(BootStrapper.java:168)
>         at org.apache.cassandra.dht.BootStrapper.getBalancedToken(BootStrapper.java:150)
>         at org.apache.cassandra.dht.BootStrapper.getBootstrapToken(BootStrapper.java:145)
>         at org.apache.cassandra.service.StorageService.joinTokenRing(StorageService.java:565)
>         at org.apache.cassandra.service.StorageService.initServer(StorageService.java:484)
>         at org.apache.cassandra.service.StorageService.initServer(StorageService.java:395)
>         at org.apache.cassandra.service.AbstractCassandraDaemon.setup(AbstractCassandraDaemon.java:234)
>         at org.apache.cassandra.service.AbstractCassandraDaemon.activate(AbstractCassandraDaemon.java:356)
>         at org.apache.cassandra.thrift.CassandraDaemon.main(CassandraDaemon.java:107)
> Exception encountered during startup: No other nodes seen!  Unable to bootstrap.If you
intended to start a single-node cluster, you should make sure your broadcast_address (or listen_address)
is listed as a seed.  Otherwise, you need to determine why the seed being contacted has no
knowledge of the rest of the cluster.  Usually, this can be solved by giving all nodes the
same seed list.
> INFO 17:50:35,571 Waiting for messaging service to quiesce
> INFO 17:50:35,571 MessagingService shutting down server thread.
>
> Kindly help me asap.
>
> Regards
> Rishabh Agrawal
>

> Impetus to sponsor and exhibit at Structure Data 2012, NY; Mar 21-22. Know more about
our Big Data quick-start program at the event.

> New Impetus webcast ‘Cloud-enabled Performance Testing vis-à-vis On-premise’ available
at http://bit.ly/z6zT4L.

interception or interference.