From "Frisch, Michael" <Michael.Fri...@nuance.com>
Subject RE: Secondary indexes don't go away after metadata change
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2012 21:56:19 GMT
Thank you very much for your response.  It is true that the older, previously existing nodes
are not snapshotting the indexes that I had removed.  I'll go ahead and just delete those
SSTables from the data directory.  They may be around still because they were created back
when we used 0.8.

The more troubling issue is with adding new nodes to the cluster though.  It built indexes
for column families that have had all indexes dropped weeks or months in the past.  It also
will snapshot the index SSTables that it created.  The index files are non-empty as well,
some are hundreds of megabytes.

All nodes have the same schema, none list themselves as having the rows indexed.  I cannot
drop the indexes via the CLI either because it says that they don't exist.  It's quite perplexing.

- Mike

From: aaron morton [mailto:aaron@thelastpickle.com]
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2012 3:58 AM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Secondary indexes don't go away after metadata change

The secondary index CF's are marked as no longer required / marked as compacted. under 1.x
they would then be deleted reasonably quickly, and definitely deleted after a restart.

Is there a zero length .Compacted file there ?

Also, when adding a new node to the ring the new node will build indexes for the ones that
supposedly don't exist any longer.  Is this supposed to happen?  Would this have happened
if I had deleted the old SSTables from the previously existing nodes?
Check you have a consistent schema using describe cluster in the CLI. And check the schema
is what you think it is using show schema.

Another trick is to do a snapshot. Only the files in use are included the snapshot.

Hope that helps.

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton