From Radim Kolar <...@filez.com>
Subject repair broke TTL based expiration
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2012 10:16:26 GMT
I suspect that running cluster wide repair interferes with TTL based
expiration. I am running repair every 7 days and using TTL expiration
time 7 days too. Data are never deleted.
Stored data in cassandra are always growing (watching them for 3 months)
but they should not. If i run manual cleanup, some data are deleted but
just about 5%. Currently there are about 3-5 times more rows then i
estimate.

I suspect that running repair on data with TTL can cause:

1. time check for expired records is ignored and these data are streamed
to other node and they will be alive again
  or
2. streaming data are propagated with full TTL. Lets say that i have ttl
7 days, data are stored for 5 days and then repaired, they should be
sent to other node with ttl 2 days not 7.

Can someone do testing on this case? I could not play with production
cluster too much.