From Jim Newsham <>
Subject Re: snapshot files locked
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2012 20:04:40 GMT

Hi Maki,

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I understand that snapshots are hard links.
However, my understanding is that removing any hard-linked files just
removes the link (decrementing the link counter of the file on disk) --
it does not delete the file itself nor remove any other links which may
be pointing at the file.  To confirm my understanding, I tested this in
Windows by terminating Cassandra and then deleting all files in the
snapshot dir.  None of the corresponding files in the parent keyspace
directory were removed.

On 3/13/2012 9:29 PM, Maki Watanabe wrote:
> snapshot files are "hardlink"s of the original sstables.
> As you know, on windows, you can't delete files opened by other process.
> If you try to delete the "hardlink", windows thinks you try to delete
> the sstables in production.
> maki
> 2012/3/14 Jim Newsham<>:
>> Hi,
>> I'm using Cassandra 1.0.8, on Windows 7.  When I take a snapshot of the
>> database, I find that I am unable to delete the snapshot directory (i.e.,
>> dir named "{datadir}\{keyspacename}\snapshots\{snapshottag}") while
>> Cassandra is running:  "The action can't be completed because the folder or
>> a file in it is open in another program.  Close the folder or file and try
>> again".  If I terminate Cassandra, then I can delete the directory with no
>> problem.  Is there a reason why Cassandra must hold onto these files?
>> Thanks,
>> Jim

View raw message