From Jeremiah Jordan <jeremiah.jor...@morningstar.com>
Subject Re: Adding a second datacenter
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2012 16:02:43 GMT
You need to make sure your clients are reading using LOCAL_* settings so
that they don't try to get data from the other data center.  But you
shouldn't get errors while replication_factor is 0.  Once you change the
replication factor to 4, you should get missing data if you are using
LOCAL_* for reading.

What version are you using?

See the IRC logs at the begining of this JIRA discussion thread for some
info:

But you should be able to:
1. Set dc2:0 in the replication_factor.
2. Set bootstrap to false on the new nodes.
2. Start all of the new nodes.
3. Change replication_factor to dc2:4
4. run repair on the nodes in dc2.

Once the repairs finish you should be able to start using DC2.  You are
still going to need a bunch of extra space because the repair is going
to get you a couple copies of the data.

Once 1.1 comes out it will have new nodetool commands for making this a
little nicer per CASSANDRA-3483

-Jeremiah