From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Schema change causes exception when adding data
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2012 17:45:26 GMT
use describe cluster in the CLI to see how many schema versions there are.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 2/03/2012, at 12:25 AM, Tharindu Mathew wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Tharindu Mathew <mccloud35@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jeremiah,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> This is what we have been doing, but it's not reliable as we don't know a definite time
that the schema would get replicated. Is there any way I can know for sure that changes have
propagated?
> [Edit: corrected to a question]
>
> Then I can block the insertion of data until then.
>

> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 4:33 AM, Jeremiah Jordan <JEREMIAH.JORDAN@morningstar.com>
wrote:
> The error is that the specified colum family doesn’t exist.  If you connect with the
CLI and describe the keyspace does it show up?  Also, after adding a new column family programmatically
you can’t use it immediately, you have to wait for it to propagate.  You can use calls to
describe schema to do so, keep calling it until every node is on the same schema.

> -Jeremiah

Then, when I try to write records to it I get the following exception shown at [1].

> How do I avoid this. I'm using Hector and the default consistency level of QUORUM is
used. Cassandra version 0.7.8. Replication Factor is 1.