From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Performance overhead when using start and end columns
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2012 17:53:54 GMT
See the test's in the article.

The code I used for profiling is also available.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 27/03/2012, at 6:21 AM, Mohit Anchlia wrote:

> Thanks but if I do have to specify start and end columns then how much overhead roughly
would that translate to since reading metadata should be constant overall?

> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:18 AM, aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
> Some information on query plans
> http://thelastpickle.com/2011/07/04/Cassandra-Query-Plans/
>
> Tl;Dr; Select columns with no start, in the natural Comparator order.
>
> Cheers
>

> -----------------
> Aaron Morton
> Freelance Developer
> @aaronmorton
> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>
> On 25/03/2012, at 2:25 PM, Mohit Anchlia wrote:
>
>> I have rows with around 2K-50K columns but when I do a query I only need to fetch
few columns between start and end columns. I was wondering what performance overhead does
it cause by using slice query with start and end columns?

>> Looking at the code it looks like when you give start and end column it goes in IndexSliceReader
logic, but it's hard to tell how much overhead on an average one would see? Or is it even
worth worrying about?