Hi all,

I am nursing an overloaded 0.6 cluster through compaction to get its disk usage under 50%. Many rows' content have been replaced so that after compaction there will be plenty of room, but a couple of nodes are currently at 95%.

One strategy I considered is temporarily moving a couple of the larger SSTables to an NFS mount and putting symlinks in the data directory. However, Jonathan says that Cassandra is not okay with symlinked SSTables [1]. Can someone elaborate on why this won't work?

If a hack like this is not possible, then I am at a loss for options other than ungracefully dropping the node from the cluster and reconstructing its data from other replicas. If anyone has recovered from a similar situation, I would appreciate your advice.

Regards,
Dan

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cassandra-user/201106.mbox/%3CBANLkTina%2BtZf9BhQwzW0Fnv-KAL7%2BKZArQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E