You mention a “stored ring view”. Can it be that this stored ring view was out of sync with the actual (gossip) situation?
After checking the code, not as much as I thought it did :)
Stored ring state is just the map from ip address to token, I thought it has a little more in there.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton