A restart of node1 fixed the problem.

The only thing I saw in the log of node1 before the problem was the following:

InetAddress /172.27.70.135 is now dead.

InetAddress /172.27.70.135 is now UP

After this, the nodetool ring command showed node 172.27.70.135 as dead.

You mention a “stored ring view”. Can it be that this stored ring view was out of sync with the actual (gossip) situation?

Thanks!

Rene