From shubham srivastava <shubha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra Compaction is Killing
Date Wed, 08 Feb 2012 10:25:24 GMT
In fact read_repair_chance just doesn't solves it by itself  I have to do
the below as well to get the same.

Combination 1
1.in_memory_compaction_limit_in_mb: 2 from 64
2.compaction_throughput_mb_per_sec: 1 from 16
3.concurrent_reads: 16 from 32   /*I have a 4 core machine*/
4.JVM_OPTS="$JVM_OPTS -Dcassandra.compaction.priority=1"
5.Heap 8Gb + 2 Gb Young

Combination 2:
read_repair_chance : 0.1

It only works if both combination1 and combination2 are applied and neither
other ways.

I have two doubts

1.Is my reads going to get impacted because of the same in terms of
performance

2.Would stale or old data be more likely as well with read_repair going
down.I have a CL:1 and RF:7 on a 7 node cluster.

Regards,
Shubham

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 2:20 PM, shubham srivastava <shubham.k@gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
>> effectively putting the load to only 4 servers as Solandra writes all the
>> docs driven by a max_docs_per_shard_size (which is 1Million) to a single
>> shard (single physical node:-> it uses it own partitioner) and I have total
>> docs as 300K.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Shubham
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 12:51 AM, aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Sounds like GC is the first problem to tackle. Can you give the process
>>> more memory ?
>>>
>>> Look at the logs and work out what the GC is doing, the cassandra logs
>>> are not exactly the same as this but you get the idea
>>> http://blogs.oracle.com/poonam/entry/understanding_cms_gc_logs
>>>
>>> The next thing I normally do is revert all changes to the default memory
>>> and GC settings.
>>>
>>> When you say memtable threshold is 0.75 do you mean
>>> the memtable_total_space_in_mb setting in yaml ?
>>> Is Cassandra logging messages about the the heap been full, what are
>>> they saying ?
>>>
>>> Wide rows, such as the TL column family in the L keyspace can increase
>>> the about of GC work that goes on. This can be somewhat alleviated by
>>> reducing the in_memory_compaction_limit_in_mb , this will increase the
>>> amount of IO that is needed.
>>>

>>   Are you talking of in_memory_compaction_limit_in_mb which is by default
>> 1/3 of heap size.
>>

>>> Cheers
>>>
>>>   -----------------
>>> Aaron Morton
>>> Freelance Developer
>>> @aaronmorton
>>> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>>>
>>> On 4/02/2012, at 5:58 PM, Shubham Srivastava wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a cassandra setup with 7 Node Ring single DC with RF:7 and
>>> Read:CL:1.There is live traffic on these nodes except one -> the traffic is
>>> 90% read. There are also writes happening to all these nodes which
>>> typically are user specific data etc.These nodes aNow at times what is
>>> happening is there are 2-3 say nodes getting in a hanged state and
>>> eventually the whole ring behaves so. There state in terms of CPU Usage is
>>> very High 17Loads ,network incoming and outgoing requests packet were very
>>> high and there is continuous GC(Major and Minor) pauses happening and Read
>>> Messages dropped  simultaneously.Also the SSTables couunt have increased
>>> and decreased for some families during this time. So majorly its the GC and
>>> SStable compaction and Memtable flush happening. We are running cassandra
>>> behind solr using Solandra.The max docs that we have are around 0.5Million.
>>>
>>> We keep one node as the main write node where we run sheduled job thats
>>> pools data into the cluster from MySql db.These jobs are run
>>> hourly.Recently we have increased the data to somewhere to the size of 30X
>>> . Before the same setup was stable and these jobs used to run in every 5
>>> minutes apart from the similar problem 2-3 times.

>>> 4Gb Heap Xmx,Xms
>>> 2Gb Young Geneartion: Xmn
>>> ParNew