From Pierre-Yves Ritschard <...@spootnik.org>
Subject cassandra on ec2 lock-ups
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2012 13:00:18 GMT
Hi,

I've experienced several node lock-ups on EC2 instances. I'm running
with the following set-up:

heap-new: 800M
max-heap: 8G
instance type: m2.xlarge

java is
java version "1.6.0_26"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.1-b02, mixed mode)

running on ubuntu 11.04 and the apache cassandra packages + jna installed

All my initial tokens are computed and set in cassandra.yaml according
to the number of nodes present, the seed list is the ip of the first
node.

I am seeing a very strange behavior where on startup a node will
lock-up the machine, ssh is still possible but ps hangs on the
cassandra process which seems to be doing nothing.