From Dan Retzlaff <dretzl...@gmail.com>
Subject SSTable symlinks
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2012 18:10:11 GMT
Hi all,

I am nursing an overloaded 0.6 cluster through compaction to get its disk
usage under 50%. Many rows' content have been replaced so that after
compaction there will be plenty of room, but a couple of nodes are
currently at 95%.

One strategy I considered is temporarily moving a couple of the larger
SSTables to an NFS mount and putting symlinks in the data directory.
However, Jonathan says that Cassandra is not okay with symlinked SSTables
[1]. Can someone elaborate on why this won't work?

If a hack like this is not possible, then I am at a loss for options other
than ungracefully dropping the node from the cluster and reconstructing its
data from other replicas. If anyone has recovered from a similar situation,
I would appreciate your advice.

Regards,
Dan

[1]