From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: unidirectional communication/replication
Date Sun, 26 Feb 2012 19:24:53 GMT
All nodes in the cluster need two way communication. Nodes need to talk to Gossip to each other
so they know they are alive.

If you need to dump a lot of data consider the Hadoop integration. http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/HadoopSupport
It can run a bit faster than going through the thrift api.

Copying sstables may be another option depending on the data size.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 25/02/2012, at 3:21 AM, Alexandru Sicoe wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm battling with this contraint that I have: I need to regularly ship out timeseries
data from a Cassandra cluster that sits within an enclosed network, outside of the network.

> I tried to select all the data within a certian time window, writing to a file, and then
copying the file out but this hits the I/O performance because even for a small time window
(say 5mins) I am hitting more than a million rows.

> It would really help if I used Cassandra to replicate the data automatically outside.
The problem is they will only allow me to have outbound traffic out of the enclosed network
(not inbound). Is there any way to configure the cluster or have 2 data centers in such a
way that the data center (node or cluster) outside of the enclosed network only gets a replica
of the data, without ever needing to communicate anything back?