From Jeremy Hanna <jeremy.hanna1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: General questions about Cassandra
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2012 16:11:34 GMT
MapReduce and Hadoop generally are pluggable so you can do queries over HDFS, over HBase, or
over Cassandra.  Cassandra has good Hadoop support as outlined here: http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/HadoopSupport.
 If you're looking for a simpler solution, there is DataStax's enterprise product which makes
configuration and operations much easier for doing both realtime and analytic queries - http://www.datastax.com/products/enterprise/compare

We currently use CDH3 with Cassandra 0.8 and it works fine.

In bocca al lupo,

Jeremy

On Feb 17, 2012, at 6:42 AM, Alessio Cecchi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we have developed a software that store logs from mail servers in MySQL, but for huge
enviroments we are developing a version that store this data in HBase. Raw logs are, once
a day, first normalized, so the output is like this:

> username,date of login, IP Address, protocol
> username,date of login, IP Address, protocol
> username,date of login, IP Address, protocol
> [...]
>
> and after inserted into the database.
>
> As I was saying, for huge installation (from 1 to 10 million of logins per day, keep
for 12 months) we are working with HBase, but I would also consider Cassandra.

> The advantage of HBase is MapReduce which makes searching the logs very fast by splitting
the "query" concurrently on multiple hosts.

> Query will be launched from a web interface (will be few requests per day) and the search
keys are user and time range.

> But Cassandra seems less complex to manage and simply to run, so I want to evaluate it
instead of HBase.

> My question is, can also Cassandra split a "query" over the cluster like MapReduce? Reading
on-line Cassandra seems fast in insert data but slower than HBase to "query". Is it really
so?