I have been playing around with Cassandra for a few months now. Starting to explore more of the routine maintenance and backup strategies and I have a general question about nodetool repair. After reading the following page: http://www.datastax.com/docs/0.8/operations/cluster_management it has occurred to me that for these past few months I have NOT DONE any cleanup or repair commands on a test 2-node cluster (and their has been quite a few deletes, writes, etc.).

For some reason I was under the assumption that Cassandra handled the tombstone records from deletes automatically? Should I still run nodetool repair and if so, what about old deletes which occurred months ago?

Thank You!