@Edward: Perhaps you missed to notice that I need to always retrieve 'all columns' under the supercolumn at any time.. and as per my query requirements if I use composite columns instead of supercolumns then it is impossible to do wildcard queries like the ones asked in this thread's headline but which is much easier to do through the use of supercolumns.