I'm not sure this is the best answer, but all of our webapps (RoR included) access Cassandra via REST.

That is one of the major reasons we built Virgil.
http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/virgil/

It allows us to build the webapps, for the most part, independent of the actual storage mechanism.
(Couch, Mongo, Cassandra, etc.)

Accessing REST services with Ruby is so clean (using rest-client gem) that you can get to most data elements in just a couple lines.  It also enabled simple browser-side/javascript fetches of data (so we didn't have to take a round-trips through MVC for simple data retrieval).  REST is the new JDBC. ;)

-brian