From Rene Kochen <Rene.Koc...@emea.schange.com>
Subject Garbage collection freezes cassandra node
Date Mon, 19 Dec 2011 15:35:15 GMT
I recently see the following garbage collect behavior in our performance tests (the attached
chart shows the heap-size in MB):

[cid:image001.jpg@01CCBE6C.2F8CE510]

During the garbage collections, Cassandra freezes for about ten seconds. I observe the following
log entries:

"GC for ConcurrentMarkSweep: 11597 ms for 1 collections, 1887933144 used; max is 8550678528"

I use Windows Server 2008 and Cassandra 0.7.10 with min and max heap size set to 8 GB.

What can I do to make Cassandra not freeze? Just allocate more memory?

Thanks,

Rene