From Peter Schuller <peter.schul...@infidyne.com>
Subject Re: CPU bound workload
Date Sat, 10 Dec 2011 20:34:43 GMT
> Counter increment is a special case in cassandra because the incur a local
> read before write. Normal column writes so not do this. So counter writes
> are intensive. If possible batch up the increments for less rpc calls and
> less reads.

Note though that the CPU usage impact of this should be limited, in
comparison to the impact when your reads end up going down to disk.
I.e., the most important performance characteristic for people to
consider is that counter writes may need to read from disk, contrary
to all other writes in Cassandra which will only imply sequential I/O
asynchronously.

--
/ Peter Schuller (@scode, http://worldmodscode.wordpress.com)