From Sylvain Lebresne <sylv...@datastax.com>
Subject Re: Dynamic column families
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2011 22:52:35 GMT
On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Matthew Stump <mrevilgnome@gmail.com> wrote:
> If I create a column family with a comparator of:
>
>  DynamicCompositeType(a=>UTF8Type,b=>UTF8Type,c=>UTF8Type,t=>TimeUUIDType)
>
> Can I do an insert that has a column where a,b,c,t are set and an insert with a,b,t are
set, or must I always set values for colums a,b,c,t?

No, you don't have to set the value for every columns each time.

> If I must always set values for all columns is that also true for dynamic column families
where I have not defined column types?

> On a side note attempting to do the following results in NULL being returned by the CLI
which is probably a bug?

> SET test['package_tags']['a@foo:t@b70801d0-2232-11e1-bfc2-0800200c9a66'] = '[\'libxslt\']';
> SET test['package_tags']['a@foo:b@bar:t@0cb0d2a0-25c7-11e1-bfc2-0800200c9a66'] = '[\'libxslt\']';

and
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.db.cassandra.user/22159
are relevant.

Basically I would first encourage you to really look if CompositeType
don't work for your before considering DynamicCompositeType.

--
Sylvain