From "Brian O'Neill" <b...@alumni.brown.edu>
Subject Re: Using Cassandra in Rails App
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2011 17:28:16 GMT
I'm not sure this is the best answer, but all of our webapps (RoR included)
access Cassandra via REST.

That is one of the major reasons we built Virgil.
http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/virgil/

It allows us to build the webapps, for the most part, independent of the
actual storage mechanism.
(Couch, Mongo, Cassandra, etc.)

Accessing REST services with Ruby is so clean (using rest-client gem) that
you can get to most data elements in just a couple lines.  It also enabled
simple browser-side/javascript fetches of data (so we didn't have to take a
round-trips through MVC for simple data retrieval).  REST is the new JDBC.
;)

-brian

--
Brian ONeill