From Janne Jalkanen <Janne.Jalka...@ecyrd.com>
Subject Re: Upgrade from 0.6 to 1.0
Date Thu, 08 Dec 2011 07:13:19 GMT

I did this just last week, 0.6.13 -> 1.0.5.

Basically, I grabbed the 0.7 distribution and ran the configuration conversion tool there
first, but since the config it produced wasn't compatible with 1.0, in the end I just opened
two editor windows, one with my 0.6 config and one with the 1.0 cassandra.yaml file and modified
it by hand. It wasn't particularly hard, since most of my config was happy with the defaults.
Also I created a schema file based on the CF family structure I had, also by hand, but I've
got only ten or so CFs.

I ran nodetool compact on all nodes, then nodetool drain, then shut down the cluster. Upgraded
to 1.0, restarted cluster. Then imported the schema file (with cassandra-cli --file myschema.txt)
Then ran nodetool scrub and let my clients connect. The entire process was fairly smooth except
for some client-side oddities which were my own fault, and took about (compaction time + 1)
hours, most of which was spent in debugging my application. I don't think compaction is necessary,
but I wanted to make sure I wouldn't run into disk space problems.

After this everything has been just fine, except for CASSANDRA-3551, which has been causing
headaches for us, but not badly enough to make me seriously consider downgrading.

/Janne

On Dec 6, 2011, at 22:12 , Jehan Bing wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've seen recent posts saying it was possible to upgrade directly from 0.6 to 1.0. But
how?

> I ran "nodetool drain" on all my nodes and shut them down.
>
> However, there is not config-convert tool anymore. Since I basically using the default
config, is it important? Or is it OK to just use the default one and change the few settings
I need?

> Also, there is no schematool anymore either. So how do I load the schema? Can I just
create one using cassandra-cli? Will cassandra then load the existing data?